hnsc
 
  Home >>  Skin Problems >>  Allergic Contact Dermatitis  
 

Allergic Contact Dermatitis: Causes of allergic contact Dermatitis


Allergic contact dermatitis, which is related to exposure to plants, is also named as “allergic phytodermatitis.” This skin problem affects sensitized people after they have been exposed to plant allergens. This is manifested through the sudden onset of an eczematous dermatitis. Blisters appear on the body part which has come into contact with the plant. Within the country, the most well known plants which bring about this problem are poison oak and poison ivy. Irritant contact dermatitis is different from allergic contact dermatitis. Although the former sounds similar, it is actually caused by exposure to allergic irritants.

This skin problem usually develops on the ankle and the foot. This can be due to the exposure to poisonous plants, like poison sumac, oak and ivy. There are also some people who are sensitive to the dyes which are used for their sneakers and shoes. Sometimes, white sneakers can also lead to this condition, due to the rubber and dye. These two are among the common types of allergens which typically lead to dry scaly skin and rashes.

When you exercise, sweat and heat is generated. This will cause the dye in your shoes to rub off on your skin. If you are sensitive, then this will lead to dermatitis. Although the dye is not visible, it is manifested through an itchy and dry rash. This rash may appear within one to two days.

You will know that you are allergic to dyes, rubber, and plant allergens when you notice the following:

  • small blisters that turn to crust
  • your skin develops thick and red scales
  • your skin burns, itches and stings
  • the development of large blisters
  • the blisters are following a line

Allergic Contact Dermatitis Treatment


When you notice any of the aforementioned signs, you should consult with your physician immediately. He or she will determine the diagnosis through your medical records, clinical tests, and patch testing. After checking you up, you will be provided with a treatment. The most common is topical corticosteroid cream. On the other hand, some allergic patients are also given antihistamine which is taken in orally. You can also be recommended to wear hypoallergenic shoes. When your case is severe, you may be injected with antibiotics, corticosteroids, or anti-inflammatory medications.

In order to prevent yourself from being affected with the condition, you should wash off the allergic substance right away. You can use isopropyl alcohol or iodoquinal when your allergic reaction is caused by a nickel. You should also look for alternative products in place of the ones that have caused your skin problem.

 
   
/var/www/html/hnsc/templates/allergic-contact-dermatitis.tplhello